THIS BLOG HAS MOVED. PLEASE UPDATE ANY BOOKMARKS TO GO DIRECTLY TO WWW.RAISINGGEEKS.COM

Sunday, December 26, 2010

December 25th: Stand for the Nexus One

Since I'm in a "what can I make from aluminum" phase, I wanted to try a more complicated stand for the Nexus One that would hold the phone with the charging cable in the bottom.

I liked this design, so I set out to make one.


It would have been handy to know the angles - I did a cardboard mockup, and set the angles by my preference. In the end, my stand has the phone much more vertical, I'll try the next one with it kicked back more. This will also allow for shorter "fingers" holding the phone which means less obstruction in portrait mode.



I didn't get the bends straight as you can see here. This is really tough to do properly without proper bending tools. If I build another one, I will be making a center line and perpendicular bend lines _before_ I put on the plastic wrap.

I also bent & unbent the bottom once since I was guessing on the distance. You can see a line about 1/2" from the bottom bend. We will call this one "prototype" :)





The pictures don't show the polish level very well. I was quite happy with the shine :)


And yes, this is my idea of Christmas Day fun :)

No comments: