THIS BLOG HAS MOVED. PLEASE UPDATE ANY BOOKMARKS TO GO DIRECTLY TO WWW.RAISINGGEEKS.COM

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Once I'd shown my son the prototype with the lit buttons and the analog gauges, I was excited to push the project forward. At this point, I still needed to finish the center panel and mount the gauges, etc. We got out the woodworking equipment and the chrome spray paint and made it happen!

He and I were both getting more excited by the day. The project was really coming together and we were both dreaming up new ways for the Control Panel to operate.

The more I thought about the Control Panel and the more I learned about the Arduino, the more I wanted to try. This new confidence was cool and I wanted to keep going.

I bought some additional parts that week:

  1. Arduino Mega - I quickly realized that all the devices I wanted to connect wouldn't work on a straight Arduino AND I knew that I'd want to do other projects so I'd need another board. Luckily I had a $50 Amazon gift cert that HAD to be spent!

  2. He wanted the panel to make sounds - and I knew just the device to make it happen. I ordered a WaveShield from AdaFruit, but I knew it would take a while to arrive due to the holidays.

  3. I made a trip to Skycraft and found some ICs that would let me try the shift.in and shift.out examples. I'd ordered the Mega and it had tons of I/O, so I didn't think I'd need them in my final design - they still seemed pretty complex given my experience, but I wanted to try them.

  4. PCB construction parts - I few more trips to Radio Shack and I had flux, braid, some small circuitboards, hook up wire, etc. I was ready to move OFF the breadboard, but knew I'd need some soldering & circuit board design experience before I could build something complex.

I also tried some other example projects. I've always been fascinated with RGB LEDs, so I build a color changing circuit. I'm using a water bottle cap sitting on two LEDs as a diffuser :)




No comments: