THIS BLOG HAS MOVED. PLEASE UPDATE ANY BOOKMARKS TO GO DIRECTLY TO WWW.RAISINGGEEKS.COM

Saturday, April 09, 2011

April 8th: MakerGear Prusa Mendel Kit - Build Day #1


The below images show the unpacked MakerGear Prusa Mendel (Hybrid) Kit, along with some extra filament that I ordered. Each build image corresponds to the steps in the Prusa Mendel Visual Instructions by Gary Hodgson, with MakerGear specific changes coming from Brock Tice's "MakerGear Prusa Mendel Instructions" which are a set of changes to the Prusa Mendel Visual Instructions. I printed both and worked through carefully. I only had a few confusing moments, and I'll send them my build journal notes as suggested improvements.

This first build effort took place from 9pm - 11:30pm on a Friday night - so 2.5 hours when I was already tired from a long week. I completed Parts 1 through 4 of the Prusa Mendel Visual Instructions and decided that I should come back rested for a QA review and THEN do all the frame tightening in Part 5.

We still have LOTS of work ahead, so if anyone is interesting in seeing how these things are build, give me a shout, we'd love to have another set of eyes & hands :>)

Our new 3D printing robot has been named "Phineas" - if you don't know about the cartoon Phineas & Ferb, you are missing out! The items on the table all come from the MakerGear Prusa Mendel (Hybrid) kit, with the exception of the filament which I ordered from MakerGear at the same time.


















Note the right side has WASHER | NUT and it should be NUT | WASHER (I fixed it later...)



The print quality on these wheels is a little rough. I had to remove some material from one face (raft?) and then remove some material from the inner race to get the bearing to fit in. I forgot to take a pic with the bearing in, but I still have one more bearing / wheel, so I'll add it later.




















No comments: