- Smithsonian Natural History Museum - We got through almost all of Natural History - we had to leave for the Pentagon tour, not sure if we will go back to look at bugs.
- Being first in the dino exhibit. The little guy & I had the main Dinosaur exhibit and the BIG BONES to ourselves for about 5 minutes.
- The "Early Man" exhibit really captivated the older boys
- The 30+ foot giant squid - ewwwww!
- The giant magnetic rock with paperclips on it.
- Pentagon Tour - The boys were remarkably well-behaved (I think all the uniformed military helped)
- The Most Dangerous Hot Dog Stand in the World - http://dcist.com/2006/09/21/pentagon_to_tea.php
- September 11th Memorial (Inside the Pentagon) - this was very tough for me, I hadn't realized that it was part of the tour and wasn't prepared.
- September 11th Memorial (Outside the Pentagon)
- Best line from the boys - "When do we get to see the OUTSIDE of the building?" They expected to SEE that it looked like a pentagon!
- 30 mins of rest at the Westin Alexandria (Needed 3 hours, IMHO)
- International Spy Museum - VERY COOL place. It is $18 per person and WELL worth it. The beginning was what I expected, lots of Hollywood spy material at the beginning, but then they had a great area for kids followed by an amazing collection of WWII and Cold War spying technology.
- Air Vents that kids can crawl through to "spy" on the other people in the museum
- An original letter from George Washington
- Real world examples of how bugs were placed in and around embassies
- a WWII ENIGMA!
- A really good gift shop. Ouch.
- Unfortunately, no pics allowed inside :(
|"Mike? Yeah, talked to him the other day. He's in Canada now - Married too!"|
|Its not cool to look excited in photos...|
|They spent 10 or 15 minutes talking about early human skull development. Wow.|
|Little guy playing with the MEanderthal app...|
|Why yes, this is what happens when I stop shaving.|
|On-Screen question: "What does it mean to be human"|
8-year old: Hey this keyboard is made of metal...I'll type "jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj"
|When going to a museum, take a camera that doesn't re-enable the flash EVERY TIME IT POWERS ON!|
|He REALLY liked this one...|
|Please look happy...|
|Ok, that's much better...|
|Out-talking our enemies since 2000...|
|When we got to the Pentagon, he went into the bathroom and washed his face - with soap - without me asking. Wow.|